Why Is My Garage Door So Noisy?
Garage Door Service
Usually, we open our garage door at least twice a day. That’s nearly 750 times a year! This number could be much higher because some people use their garage door even more often. No wonder it needs professional service from time to time.
Garage door service should be regular if you want to make the life of your garage door longer. But if you’ve spotted that your door doesn’t work properly anymore, then you should immediately ask for help from a company that provides garage door service. One of the best companies that offers professional services in this area, such as repair, replacement, and installation is Up and Down Garage Doors.
However, there is at least one little problem which you can try to solve yourself.
Noisy Garage Doors
The noise made by the garage door could be very annoying. Sometimes it becomes so loud that all the neighborhood can hear that you’ve just opened the door of your garage.
A noisy garage door most definitely causes a lot of discomforts. So what can you do about it?
The squeak means that the parts of the door mechanism are rubbing together. The hinges and the hardware on the garage door need a regular lubrication. For example, technicians from Up and Down Garage Doors say it’s best to lubricate the door at least twice a year.
How to Lubricate a Garage Door?
You can lubricate a noisy garage door without special tools but you will need a grease. There are different sprays you can use, but not all of them are suitable. The choosing of the right spray is the hardest part. The best thing to use is lithium based grease. If you can’t find it in your local stores, then you can use a silicone spray, that is not as good as lithium but better than using the oil or a regular WD-40. The next step is the lubrication itself:
- First of all, you should close the garage doors and disconnect it from the motor.
- Clean the tracks using the dump rags or the paper towels. You also can use a vacuum with a hose extension to suck out all the dirt. The tracks itself don’t need to be lubricated, but they need to be cleaned to operate correctly.
- Spray the grease on all hinges. You may use a paper towel to increase any kind of overspray. Pay a little more attention to the hinges on the edge of the door, because they have rollers that go inside the track. If needed, clean them. To reach the hinges on the top use a ladder.
- Above the door you can find the springs and two discs, that’s the pulleys. Spray the grease on the springs and pulleys. Open and close the door to spread the spray properly.
- To make locking easier and prevent rust you can lubricate the lock on your door as well.
- Another part of the garage door that needs lubrication is the rail. Spray the grease on the top of the ray and spread it around with a rag or a paper towel.
After you did all these you can try to open and close the door again. Does it sound better? Yes? Great job! Now your garage door is good to go.
But if you still can hear the squeak, then your garage door needs a professional service. Maybe the problem is more serious than you thought.
Some garage doors not only make a loud noise they’re also running rough. In that case, lithium or silicone spray won’t help. We recommend you to hire a professional for this purpose, since the garage door is a large and complex mechanism and it’s hard to figure out what’s wrong without specialized knowledge, experience, and tools. And it would be even harder to solve the problem yourself. Some companies provide 24-hour garage door service, such as Up and Down Garage Doors, so their customers can call them anytime they need their help.